If you suspect that you have OSA and hesitate to seek treatment, take a look at some of the most common signs and symptoms. The number beside each item indicates how often people diagnosed with OSA exhibit that particular symptom. For example, 78% of people diagnosed with OSA also exhibit excessive daytime sleepiness.
- Excessive daytime sleepiness- 78%
- Restless sleep- 100%
- Snoring with intermittent pauses- 94%
- Absence of snoring- 69%
- Poor memory and clouded intellect- 58%
- Personality changes and irritability- 48%
- Decreased sex drive and impotence- 42%
- Morning headaches- 36%
The prevalence of cardiovascular diseases in patients diagnosed with OSA is alarming. The following list shows the correlation between cardiovascular diseases and OSA.
- Hypertension- 57%
- Ischemic heart disease-25%
- Coronary heart disease-17%
- Acute myocardial infarction-8%
Another way to look at the dangerous effects of OSA is to consider how often people diagnosed with other conditions also suffer from OSA. For example, 90% of people complaining of nighttime chest pain (nocturnal angina) were diagnosed with OSA, as were 38% of heart attack victims!
- Nocturnal angina-90%
- Asymptomatic nocturnal bradycardia-86%
- Coronary artery disease-76%
- End stage renal disease-60%
- Cardiac sinus arrhythmia-50%
- Congestive heart failure-45%
- Ischemic stroke-40%
- Acute myocardial infarction-38%
- Ischemic heart disease-28%
Please contact the TMJ Therapy and Sleep Center of Nevada to learn more about OSA and its relationship to other medical diseases.